- 400g / 14oz dried udon noodles
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 175g / 6oz squid, cleaned and sliced
- 450g / 1 lb large cooked prawns, shelled and deveined
- 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 225g / 8oz bean sprouts
- 15 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 teaspoons dried green seaweed, soaked in hot water and drained
- 4 tablespoons bonito flakes
- 4 tablespoons Japanese or light soy sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Stir-frying coaxes maximum flavour out of seafood ingredients and gives the noodles a smooth, slippery texture.
Bring water to the boil, add the noodles and cook for 7 to 15 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.
Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan until very hot and stir-fry the squid and prawns for 2 minutes. Add the spring onions, bean sprouts, mushrooms and seaweed and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Add the noodles and remaining ingredients and seasonings, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Divide the noodles and seafood among four plates and serve.
Reprinted with permission from the book:
Periplus Editions (HK) Ltd.
This complete guide to cooking noodles features more than 60 recipes, and describes the ingredients, cooking methods and vegetable cutting techniques used in noodle preparation. Whether you like your noodles hot or cold, thick or thin, there's always a noodle for every occasion.
ISBN 962 593 6513
- Find this book at your local English-language bookstore in Japan
- Or use the ISBN to order from your local bookstore.