- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized cubes
For the marinade:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 30g (1 oz) root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the coating:
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 slices lemon, to garnish
The mixture of garlic, ginger and soy sauce enhances the taste of the chicken, with the sliced lemon giving refreshing "bite" to these delicious nuggets.
|1. Marinate the chicken with the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper for 30 minutes.|
|2. Mix the cornflour with the plain flour. Take each piece of chicken from the marinade and roll in the flour mixture until completely coated.|
|3. Heat the oil to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) and deep-fry the chicken pieces for 4-5 minutes or until a burnished golden brown. Garnish with the sliced lemon and serve on a bed of salad leaves.|
Reprinted with permission from the book:
Japanese Cooking for Two
Periplus Editions (HK) Ltd.
Japanese Cooking for Two is a revelation to anyone intrigued by the exquisite appearance and tastes of Japanese cuisine. The 54 dishes in this volume can be made from easily found ingredients that explore a wide range of flavours and textures.
ISBN 962 593 654 8