- 1 oz (30g) powdered gelatin
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 tbsp matcha
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 cup fresh cream
- strawberries, canned peaches, grapes, or any fresh fruit
- syrup to taste
1. In a bowl, mix the gelatin and water, place the bowl in a pan of hot water, and mix until the gelatin dissolves.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt, and stir until the mixture turns whitish.
3. Heat the milk in a small pan until it is lukewarm.
4. Mix the matcha and 2 tablespoons of warm milk and stir briskly until the paste becomes smooth. Set aside.
5. Add the rest of the milk to the egg yolks and cook over low heat, taking care not to let the milk boil as the yolks will harden. Remove
from the heat and cool slightly.
6. Add the gelatin, matcha paste, and brandy to the milk, and mix. Place in a large bowl of iced water to let it cool.
7. Lightly whip the cream and fold into the mixture. Pour into individual glasses and refrigerate until set.
8. Serve garnished with your favorite fruit and syrup.
Note: The bavarois will look more attractive if you slightly tilt the glasses when you put them in the refrigerator.
Reprinted with permission from the book:
New Tastes in Green Tea
New Tastes in Green Tea is an original cookbook that ushers an underappreciated flavor into the kitchen as a beverage and a cooking ingredient. The range of recipes is startling. Green Tea Latte, Matcha Smoothie, or Iced Matcha au Lait take "the greens" in new directions. Mouthwatering recipes for gratin, quiche, pastas, and desserts will enliven the adventurous cook's culinary repertoire
Whether you are looking for a bevy of palate-pleasing drinks or savory new food recipes, New Tastes in Green Tea is a must-have for anyone seeking to appreciate the versatility and elegant flavorings of one of the world's most healthful beverages.