- Italian: Heian Shrine [ Open 10:30am-6:30pm. Closed Mondays. ]
Cafe Cube, inside the Hosomi Museum, serves nice Italian food at lunchtime, with a Y1500 set menu that includes appetizer, salad, pasta, bread and tea or coffee. The museum itself houses a private...
- Italian: Karasuma [ Open 11:30am-2, 6-10pm. Closed Wednesdays. ]
Authentic Italian fare with a Japanese sensibility; budget Y8,000 to Y10,000 for dinner. Lunch starts at Y1600.
- Italian: Kodaiji Temple [ Open noon-2:30, 6-9:30pm (LO). Closed Tuesdays. ]
The original, very modern Italian cuisine here takes full advantage of the high-quality vegetables and seafood that are locally available. Dinners average around Y5000 a la carte for food, while the...
- Italian: Kyoto City Hall [ Open noon-11pm daily. ]
Park Caffe is nowhere near a park but it's a great place to watch the world go by. Sunlight streams in through the floor-to-ceiling window. A marvel of design economy, there are three seating areas;...
- Italian: Keihan Shichijo [ Open 11am-10pm daily. ]
trattoria sette has filled the void of casual restaurant-cafe cum bars in one of Kyoto's most historic districts. After being overawed by the 1001 statues of the goddess of mercy at Sanjusangendo...
- French: Kyoto City Hall [ Open 8am-2:30pm, 5:30-9:30pm (LO). Closed Thursdays. ]
The decor is old-school budget French (checkered tablecloths, tiny tables, a big counter at one end of the room), but the menu is a cut above the decor, with good country-style cuisine at...
Le Plat Plus
- French: Arashiyama [ Open 11:30am-2, 5:30-8:30pm (LO). Closed Tues. and 3rd Mon. ]
Sun streams through the windows and the reflection off the red awning tints the walls a rosy pink. Menus from renowned French restaurants adorn the walls, as do antique clocks that all display...
- French: Kyoto City Hall [ Open 11:30am-2, 5:30-9pm (LO) daily. ]
Paris-trained owner-chef Teruo Inoue prepares world-class "French kaiseki" - a fusion of modern French cuisine with a Japanese sensibility and local ingredients. The old wooden building on narrow...
- French: Kyoto City Hall [ Open 11:30am-2:30, 5:30-9pm daily. ]
Luxuriously over-the-top French cuisine revolving around rich ingredients like foie gras, lobster and domestic beef. The degustation menu is Y13,000.
- International: Keihan Shichijo [ Open 6:30am-10pm daily. ]
The Hyatt Regency's all-day restaurant puts on a sumptuous, and very popular, Sunday brunch buffet for Y3950. Prix-fixe dinners, featuring meat and seafood from the wood-burning oven, start at...
- American: Kyoto Station [ Open 11am-10pm (LO) daily. ]
An American chain specializing in ribs, located inside the Aeon shopping mall just south of JR Kyoto Station.
- Mediterranean: Karasuma-Oike [ Open 11:30am-11pm (lunch to 2pm). Closed Wednesdays. ]
Sarasa is all about reasonably priced food in a huge old tobacco shop. The menu is broadly Mediterranean with a Japanese fringe, and most dishes come on large white platters that lend an air of...
- Spanish: Kyoto City Hall [ Open 3pm-3am (rest 5:30-11pm LO). Closed Wednesdays. ]
El Fogon is a little slice of Spain in downtown Kyoto. Serrano ham, Moorish tiles, and a terracotta floor: it could be somewhere in Andalucia.
- Middle Eastern: Kawaramachi [ Open noon-2, 6-10pm (LO) daily. ]
Tajines, couscous, and other Moroccan and Moroccan-French dishes are the draw at Jajouka. They also stock several Belgian and other European beers. Budget around Y5000 at dinnertime.
Din Tai Fung
- Dim sum: Kawaramachi [ Open 10:30am-8pm. Closed Tuesdays. ]
This department-store nook specializes in shoronpo - authentic Taipei-style dumplings injected with a hot broth that fills your mouth with delicious flavors as it simultaneously scalds your tongue.
Old Hong Kong
- Chinese: Karasuma [ Open 11:30am-3, 5-9pm (LO) daily. ]
A branch of a popular Kobe Cantonese restaurant, Old HK is known for their impressive dim sum lunches (Y3400 for all you can eat, with a 90-minute limit) - they even have dumpling trolleys making the...
- Chinese: Kawaramachi [ Open 10am-8:30pm (LO). Closed Tuesdays. ]
The Hong Kong-based tea shop offers a huge selection of Chinese desserts, plus dim sum and a few a la carte dishes. Desserts are also ready to take out.
- Chinese: Karasuma [ Open 11:30am-2, 5-10pm (LO) daily. ]
This converted Taisho-era storehouse is owned by an antiques dealer, and he's stocked the huge interior with lovely Asian-style furnishings. Several of the dining areas look out onto the courtyard...
- Ramen: Kyoto Station [ Open 5am-2am. Closed Thursdays. ]
A very popular late-night ramen shop with a devoted following.
- Ramen: Karasuma [ Open 11am-2am daily. ]
Ippudo's Hakata-style ramen is known for its rich pork-based broth and thin, slightly chewy noodles. There are graters and garlic cloves on the counter if you're so inclined.
Kyoto Ramen Alley
- Ramen: Kyoto Station [ Open 11am-9:30pm (LO) daily. ]
If you don't have time to travel the length and breadth of Japan, here at least is your chance to try some of the best ramen from around the country. Seven well-chosen shops serve ramen in various...
- Ramen: Kyoto Station [ Open 7:30am-11pm. Closed Wednesdays. ]
One of Kyoto's most popular ramen shops, specializing in Kyoto-style ramen.
- Ramen: Kita-Shirakawa [ Open 11:30am-2, 5pm-1am (LO). Closed Wednesdays. ]
As Tonryu is THE ramen restaurant in northeast Kyoto the queues form early. And the fundamental question is: wave or straight? The yasai chuka soba (Chinese ramen with vegetables) and a plate of...
Korean and Southest Asian
- Yakiniku: Kodaiji Temple [ Open 5-10:30pm (LO) daily. ]
The setting looks a lot like a typical traditional Japanese restaurant, with a gorgeous interior courtyard, but the food is first-rate Korean - high-grade yakiniku plus side dishes like tripe...
Kati Thai Cafe
- Thai: Kyoto City Hall [ Open noon-2pm, 5:30-10pm. Closed Mondays. ]
The only item that polarizes diners at Kati is the Mekhong rum. Beyond this very potent brew, the menu of Thai classics has everyone in agreement - the food is good. Formerly housed in a converted...
Yak & Yeti
- Nepalese: Kawaramachi [ Open 11:30am-2:30, 5-10pm. Closed Mondays. ]
Inexpensive and tasty Nepalese curries and Indian tandoori dishes are the specialties at this charming little shop. The dining room has been expanded, but unfortunately it can get smoky.
- Indian: Kawaramachi [ Open 11:30am-2:30, 5-9pm. Closed 3rd Wed. ]
Kyoto's long-established Indian-food pioneer still turns out reliable curries in a smartly decorated dining room. Full-course dinners start at Y3000, although a la carte choices can be more...
- Indian: Kyoto City Hall [ Open 11:30am-2, 5-9pm (LO) daily. ]
The chef here is from the Kerala region of India, and he prepares a full range of dishes from that area, all reasonably priced.