Kyoto station complex
- Kyo-ryori [ Open 11am-10:30pm (LO) daily. ]
Accessible tofu and vegetable-centered Kyo-ryori in this tastefully decorated restaurant near Kyoto station. There are only four sakes, but they're chosen to go with the food; you can also choose...
- Teppanyaki [ Open 11:30am-2:30, 5:30-9:30pm (LO) daily. ]
Top-class teppanyaki in a very stylish setting inside the Hotel Granvia. Steak lunches start at Y5,000, dinners at Y10,000.
- Kaiseki [ Open 11am-2:30, 5-8:30pm (LO) daily. ]
In case you can't get reservations at the main branch of Kitcho, or if you can't swing a bank loan to cover your meal there, this is a more affordable, yet still elegant, alternative; full kaiseki...
The Cube, Isetan
- Okonomiyaki [ Open 11am-10pm daily. ]
Kyoto-style "negiyaki" and the oddly named pizza-style okonomiyaki (with ingredients like tuna, cheese, tomato and corn) are among the choices at this inexpensive shop.
Katsukura Kyo-eki Bldg
- Tonkatsu [ Open 11am-10pm daily. ]
Excellent Kyoto-style tonkatsu - you'll find tofu and yuba side dishes and other local touches, along with great tsukemono (pickles). The tasteful interior features earth-toned stucco walls and...
- Kushiage [ Open 11am-10pm daily. ]
Reliable kushiage from this Tokyo-based chain. Full-course dinner-size sets start at around Y2000.
- Kyo-ryori [ Open 11am-9:30pm (LO) daily. ]
Obanzai-ryori - Kyoto home-style cooking - is the specialty here, and you can choose from a wide selection of local delicacies in tiny portions. At lunchtime you get one main dish (tempura, fish,...
- Soba/Udon [ Open 11am-10pm daily. ]
Tagoto serves budget-priced set meals built around soba, tempura, and various Kyoto-style side dishes.
- Japanese [ Open 11am-9:15pm (LO). Closed some Tuesdays. ]
Red-bean-paste sweets and other traditional Japanese desserts are served here with green tea; there's also inexpensive standard Japanese fare like tempura and soba.
- Tofu [ Open 11am-9:15pm (LO). Closed some Tuesdays. ]
This well-known tofu specialist has several branches in town, but this is probably the easiest to find. Multi-course deluxe tofu dinners average around Y4500; lunches run Y2000 or so.
- Retail [ Open 10am-8pm. Closed some Tuesdays. ]
The sprawling basement food floor of Isetan Department Store is a convenient place to buy bento boxes and other take-away food before you take the train.
Kyoto Ramen Alley
- Ramen [ Open 11am-9:30pm (LO) daily. ]
If you don't have time to travel the length and breadth of Japan, here at least is your chance to try some of the best ramen from around the country. Seven well-chosen shops serve ramen in various...
- Japanese regional [ Open 11am-9:15pm (LO). Closed some Tuesdays. ]
Traditional Osaka dishes like udon sukiyaki (their specialty) and much more; the multi-part chef's menu (Y1800) is a good introduction.
- Kyo-ryori [ Open 11am-9:15pm (LO). Closed some Tuesdays. ]
Shozankaku specializes in yuba (tofu skin), paired with top-quality vegetables and seasonal ingredients like bamboo shoots, mushrooms and fresh-water fish. Yuba-centered lunches start at Y2700,...
- Sushi [ Open 11am-9:15pm (LO). Closed some Tuesdays. ]
Tokyo-style sushi from a long-established, very reputable shop in Tsukiji market. Set menus start from just Y2100, although a la carte can be somewhat pricier.
- Tempura [ Open 11am-9:15pm (LO). Closed some Tuesdays. ]
A conveniently located Kyoto branch of one of Tokyo's more famous tempura shops (Bill Clinton was taken there during a presidential visit). Dinner menus range from Y1500-6300.
- Kyo-ryori [ Open 11am-2:30, 5-9pm. Closed some Tuesdays. ]
Yet another Isetan branch of a Kyoto culinary landmark; this one features a pleasantly modern interior and a panoramic northward-looking view of the city. Food and drink averages around Y4000 at...
- Izakaya [ Open 11am-11pm. Closed some Tuesdays. ]
At first glance this looks like your typical chain izakaya, but the quirky menu offers Kyoto-style dishes and a big tofu section as well as Asian dishes and the mysterious "beer fondue nabemono." ...
- Japanese regional [ Open 11am-3, 5-10pm (LO). Closed some Tuesdays. ]
Kagaya serves Japanese food with an emphasis on the seafood and other specialties of Ishikawa Prefecture and Kanazawa on the Sea of Japan coast. Regular dinners start at Y3000, with kaiseki service...
- Yakitori [ Open 11am-11pm. Closed some Tuesdays. ]
Excellent, skillfully prepared free-range chicken and a good selection of premium sake brands make this a popular spot for after-shopping snacking or late-night drinking. The decor is simple but...
North and east of station
- Kushiage [ Open 11am-11pm daily. ]
This popular shop lets you cook your own kushiage skewers in a deep-fryer right at your table. It's all you can eat, including various side dishes and a big variety of skewered tidbits. Y2625 per...
- Ramen [ Open 5am-2am. Closed Thursdays. ]
A very popular late-night ramen shop with a devoted following.
- Ramen [ Open 7:30am-11pm. Closed Wednesdays. ]
One of Kyoto's most popular ramen shops, specializing in Kyoto-style ramen.
- Izakaya [ Open 11:30am-2:30, 4:30-11pm daily. ]
Good-quality fish and seafood at bargain prices at this outlet of a popular national chain. The menu also includes many local Kyoto touches and a decent sake selection. Most seating is in small...
South of station
- American [ Open 11am-10pm (LO) daily. ]
An American chain specializing in ribs, located inside the Aeon shopping mall just south of JR Kyoto Station.
- International [ Open 6:30am-10pm daily. ]
The Hyatt Regency's all-day restaurant puts on a sumptuous, and very popular, Sunday brunch buffet for Y3950. Prix-fixe dinners, featuring meat and seafood from the wood-burning oven, start at...
- Japanese [ Open 11:30am-2:30, 5:30-10pm daily. ]
Ceramics, sake bottles and patterned tiles embellish the minimalist modern Japanese design at Touzan. Private tatami rooms have been reinterpreted as dining alcoves created by suspended blinds, while...
- Italian [ Open 11am-10pm daily. ]
trattoria sette has filled the void of casual restaurant-cafe cum bars in one of Kyoto's most historic districts. After being overawed by the 1001 statues of the goddess of mercy at Sanjusangendo...