Le Plat Plus
- French [ Open 11:30am-2, 5:30-8:30pm (LO). Closed Tues. and 3rd Mon. ]
Sun streams through the windows and the reflection off the red awning tints the walls a rosy pink. Menus from renowned French restaurants adorn the walls, as do antique clocks that all display...
Kitcho Arashiyama branch
- Kaiseki [ Open 11:30am-1, 4:30-7pm (LO) daily. ]
Perhaps the most famous kaiseki restaurant in Kyoto (and one of the most expensive), Kitcho offers first-rate food and very formal service in an idyllic setting. Guests are served in elegant private...
- Shojin-ryori [ Open 11am-2pm daily. ]
With a fantastic location overlooking the beautifully landscaped garden of Tenryo-ji Temple, Shigetsu serves up a beautiful vegetarian shojin-ryori lunch built around yuba, tofu and seasonal...
- Retail [ Open 9am-8pm daily. ]
The fresh-baked sembei crackers here are perfect to munch on while you explore the nearby Tenryuji Temple, and they come in fun flavors like wasabi, red pepper, shiso and yuzu - 14 varieties in all.
- Sushi [ Open 11am-2, 5-9pm (LO). Closed Mondays. ]
Located five minutes from Daitokuji Temple, this 70-year-old shop specializes in Kyoto-style sushi, including excellent chakin-zushi, using ingredients fresh from Akashi fish market. Bento boxes are...
- Shojin-ryori [ Open noon-6pm (LO) daily. ]
This well-established restaurant has been preparing vegetarian shojin-ryori since the mid-1400s, and it's one of the few shojin places that serves (early) dinner as well as lunch. Lunchtime service...
- Shojin-ryori [ Open 11am-4pm daily. ]
This famous shojin-ryori establishment specializes in teppatsu-ryori, a rather elaborate variation of Zen vegetarian cuisine. Located inside Daitokuji Temple (on the grounds of the Daiji-in...
Kita-Shirakawa (Philosopher's Walk)
- Japanese/health food [ Open noon-2, 6-10:30pm. Closed Tuesdays. ]
Sunny Place has moved but the philosophy is the same. Healthy vegan Japanese fare at low prices. The new restaurant has a long narrow counter, upon which the array of side dishes included in the set...
- Ramen [ Open 11:30am-2, 5pm-1am (LO). Closed Wednesdays. ]
As Tonryu is THE ramen restaurant in northeast Kyoto the queues form early. And the fundamental question is: wave or straight? The yasai chuka soba (Chinese ramen with vegetables) and a plate of...
- Coffee shop [ Open 11am-9pm. Closed Wednesdays. ]
Good lattes and espressos in a nice comfortable shop; they even have free WiFi.
Le Monument Bleu
- Belgian rest/beer bar [ Open 6pm-2am. Closed Mondays. ]
Located just one minute from Hankyu Nishiin station, this attractively decorated specialty bar is worth seeking out if you're a fan of Belgian beers. The list of brews is impressive, and it's...