Sannomiya south of station
- Japanese [ Open 11am-2, 5-10pm (LO) daily. ]
Excellent, creative cooking, friendly service and some of the nicest modern decor in Kobe make this restaurant worth a stop. Be sure to try the local dishes like the cross-cultural dim sum...
- Soba/Udon [ Open 11am-11pm daily. ]
Located in the "Dining Road" complex upstairs from JR Sannomiya station's Central Gate, Usuusu specializes in soba noodles and grilled chicken. It's a very convenient place for an inexpensive...
Chao Sai Gon
- Vietnamese [ Open 11am-10pm daily. ]
This relaxed cafe features a cute two-table nook up front, and serves pho noodles and other simple Vietnamese fare. A row of blenders stands ready to churn out various tropical cocktails.
Gumbo and Oyster Bar
- Seafood [ Open 11am-10pm (LO) daily. ]
The first Kobe branch of the popular chain serves up raw and cooked oysters, hearty seafood chowders (called "pan roasts") and Cajun-style gumbo.
- Tonkatsu [ Open 11am-11pm daily. ]
One of the best of the tonkatsu chains, Kyoto-based Katsukura offers nice side dishes like yuba (tofu-skin) croquettes and excellent Kyoto-style pickles. And they're open all afternoon if you need a...
- Buffet [ Open 11am-10:30pm daily. ]
The large and varied all-you-can-eat buffet is served in a pleasant, library-themed dining room. Y1800 before 5pm, Y2200 after.
- Izakaya [ Open 11am-2:30, 5-10pm daily. ]
Uoman is an upscale izakaya chain is known for their creative, solidly prepared food, their well-selected sake and shochu menu and their stylish decor.
- Dim sum [ Open 11am-9pm daily. ]
This small, popular counter shop serves nice meaty gyoza dumplings; sets of gyoza, rice and side dishes cost around Y700.
New Munchen Kobe Taishikan
- Beer bar [ Open 11am-11pm daily. ]
This charming Kobe landmark serves a full range of Sapporo beers, and a huge, 150-item food menu. The small brewery in the basement produced two craft beers - a somewhat fruity wheat beer and a...
Sogo Department Store
- Retail [ Open 10am-8pm daily. ]
The basement food floor, right next to the station, is one of the better places to find a selection of local food products.
- Teppanyaki [ Open 11:30am-9pm (LO) daily. ]
Far more affordable than the typical hotel teppanyaki-ya, this attractive department-store shop serves up good-quality seafood, chicken, and of course Kobe beef. The steak lunch is just Y1260, and a...
- Cafe [ Open 11am-10pm (LO) daily. ]
A rooftop oasis right in central Kobe, this cafe looks out onto a big garden area, with seating both indoors and out. The casual, inexpensive food menu is a mix of Japanese and Western dishes -...
Motomachi south of station
- Cafe [ Open 11am-8pm daily. ]
Inexpensive bakery and deli items and salads from the famous no-brand design store Mujirushi.
- Akashiyaki [ Open noon-9:45pm (LO) daily. ]
Akashiyaki is a lighter, fluffier version of takoyaki, made with local octopus, and Tako-no-tsubo is an expert in its preparation. The room cozy dining room - usually filled with the aroma of...
- Korean [ Open 5-11pm (LO) daily. ]
Authentic Korean home-style cooking at a very unpretentious basement izakaya counter. Budget around Y3500 for food and drink.
- Chinese [ Open 11am-2:30, 5-8pm. Closed Wednesdays. ]
Best known for their noodle dishes, the kitchen here also turns out a complete range of Cantonese standards.
Rokko Beer Diner
- Beer bar [ Open 4-11pm (LO) daily. ]
This conveniently located taproom serves beers from Rokko brewery, including those made on premises (next door) at a place called Star Board Brewing. They also generally have four or five imported...
- Yoshoku [ Open 11am-2:30, 5-8:30pm (LO). Closed Wednesdays. ]
One of the original wave of yoshoku restaurants, Itoh Grill has been preparing original Japanese-style Western dishes since 1923. They've probably redecorated since then, but not too recently. ...
- Cat cafe [ Open 11am-10pm (enter by 9). Closed 3rd Tuesday. ]
A conveniently located cat cafe near Sannomiya station, Nyanny charges Y1000 for the first hour of cat time (Y1200 with a soft drink, Y1500 with an alcoholic beverage).
- Unagi [ Open 11am-2:30, 5-9pm (LO). Closed Tuesdays. ]
Good-quality charcoal grilled unagi eels. Budget around Y4,000 for lunch or dinner.
- Steak house [ Open 11:30am-8:15pm (LO); lunch to 2pm. Closed Wednesdays. ]
One of the better places in town for Kobe beef and other steaks; they also serve shabu-shabu and nabe-style stews. Steak dinners start at Y5200; Kobe beef steaks are Y10,000.
- Indian [ Open 11:30am-2:30, 5-9pm (LO). Closed Mondays. ]
Authentic Indian cooking from a former chef at Gaylord; dinners start around Y3000.
- Indian [ Open 11:30am-3, 5:30-9:30pm. Closed 3rd Monday. ]
Kobe's venerable old Indian-food pioneer, Gaylord still draws the crowds with their good food, friendly service and pleasant atmosphere. Note the new location in Kyukyoryuchi.
- Cafe [ Open 11:30am-5am daily. ]
Featured in architecture and design magazines as well as restaurant guides, this beautifully repurposed space is the former lobby of a British bank built in 1938. It's a stylish spot for an...
- Tofu [ Open 11am-3, 5-9pm (LO) daily. ]
Excellent home-made tofu is the core of the menu here, with tofu-centered set meals at various price levels (Y4000-10,000). The dining room offers a nice high-rise view over the Kobe waterfront.
Kobe station/ Harborland
- Yoshoku [ Open 11am-2, 5-9pm (LO) daily. ]
More classic Kobe yoshoku fun - the specialties here are beef-tongue croquettes and tongue stew.
- American [ Open 11am-10pm (LO) daily. ]
Spareribs, cubic onion-ring sculptures, fried cheese and other bits of Americana are available at this US-based chain. Budget around Y2500-3000 at dinnertime.
- Kushiage [ Open 11am-10pm daily. ]
This popular shop lets you cook your own kushiage skewers in a deep-fryer right at your table. It's all you can eat, including various side dishes and a big variety of skewered tidbits. Y2625 per...
- Brazilian [ Open 11am-10pm (LO) daily. ]
Churrasco-style Brazilian grilled meats (beef, pork, chicken) are served here, and the waiters will keep bringing you meat until you tell them to stop; all-you-can-eat deals cost around Y2450 per...