Sannomiya south of station
- Japanese [ Open 11am-2, 5-10pm (LO) daily. ]
Excellent, creative cooking, friendly service and some of the nicest modern decor in Kobe make this restaurant worth a stop. Be sure to try the local dishes like the cross-cultural dim sum...
- Soba/Udon [ Open 11am-11pm daily. ]
Located in the "Dining Road" complex upstairs from JR Sannomiya station's Central Gate, Usuusu specializes in soba noodles and grilled chicken. It's a very convenient place for an inexpensive...
Chao Sai Gon
- Vietnamese [ Open 11am-10pm daily. ]
This relaxed cafe features a cute two-table nook up front, and serves pho noodles and other simple Vietnamese fare. A row of blenders stands ready to churn out various tropical cocktails.
Gumbo and Oyster Bar
- Seafood [ Open 11am-10pm (LO) daily. ]
The first Kobe branch of the popular chain serves up raw and cooked oysters, hearty seafood chowders (called "pan roasts") and Cajun-style gumbo.
- Tofu [ Open 11am-11pm daily. ]
Tofu and yuba are the specialties here, and the menu offers some unusual dishes like soy-milk cheese fondue, nama-fu and soy-milk gratin, and hot apple pie with soy ice. You'll also find seasonal...
- Tonkatsu [ Open 11am-11pm daily. ]
One of the best of the tonkatsu chains, Kyoto-based Katsukura offers nice side dishes like yuba (tofu-skin) croquettes and excellent Kyoto-style pickles. And they're open all afternoon if you need a...
- Buffet [ Open 11am-10:30pm daily. ]
The large and varied all-you-can-eat buffet is served in a pleasant, library-themed dining room. Y1800 before 5pm, Y2200 after.
- Izakaya [ Open 11am-2:30, 5-10pm daily. ]
Uoman is an upscale izakaya chain is known for their creative, solidly prepared food, their well-selected sake and shochu menu and their stylish decor.
- Dim sum [ Open 11am-9pm daily. ]
This small, popular counter shop serves nice meaty gyoza dumplings in a down-to-earth setting. The fried dumplings are slightly more charred than usual, creating a crunchy texture and deeper flavor....
- Japanese [ Open 11am-9:30pm (LO) daily. ]
A budget teishoku restaurant with a difference, Otoya serves good helpings of vegetables with your meals, with a variety of creative side dishes. Ootoya has over 100 shops in the Tokyo area (so they...
- Curry [ Open 11am-7pm daily. ]
The draw at this old-fashioned basement shop is the spicy Japanese-style beef curry, which is served along with loud jazz - mainly bebop recorded on the Savoy record label. This is classic...
- Beer bar [ Open 5-10:30pm (LO). Closed Wednesdays. ]
Kobe Beer Hall Portside offers a good selection of beers from Rokko, Starboard and other breweries on tap, and several Belgians by the bottle. The food is also decent, with dishes like steamed...
New Munchen Kobe Taishikan
- Beer bar [ Open 11am-11pm daily. ]
This charming Kobe landmark serves a full range of Sapporo beers, and a huge, 150-item food menu. The small brewery in the basement produced two craft beers - a somewhat fruity wheat beer and a...
Sogo Department Store
- Retail [ Open 10am-8pm daily. ]
The basement food floor, right next to the station, is one of the better places to find a selection of local food products.
- Teppanyaki [ Open 11:30am-9pm (LO) daily. ]
Far more affordable than the typical hotel teppanyaki-ya, this attractive department-store shop serves up good-quality seafood, chicken, and of course Kobe beef. The steak lunch is just Y1260, and a...
- Cafe [ Open 11am-10pm (LO) daily. ]
A rooftop oasis right in central Kobe, this cafe looks out onto a big garden area, with seating both indoors and out. The casual, inexpensive food menu is a mix of Japanese and Western dishes -...
Motomachi south of station
- Cafe [ Open 11am-8pm daily. ]
Inexpensive bakery and deli items and salads from the famous no-brand design store Mujirushi.
- Akashiyaki [ Open noon-9:45pm (LO) daily. ]
Akashiyaki is a lighter, fluffier version of takoyaki, made with local octopus, and Tako-no-tsubo is an expert in its preparation. The room cozy dining room - usually filled with the aroma of...
- Korean [ Open 5-11pm (LO) daily. ]
Authentic Korean home-style cooking at a very unpretentious basement izakaya counter. Budget around Y3500 for food and drink.
Bibi and George
- Bird cafe [ Open 11am-8pm (last entry 7pm). Closed Mondays. ]
The cafe's friendly, good-natured staff and friendly owls make this a very pleasant place to spend an hour of your time. The setup is a bit unusual, starting with the ticket machine at the entrance...
- Chinese [ Open 11am-2:30, 5-8pm. Closed Wednesdays. ]
Best known for their noodle dishes, the kitchen here also turns out a complete range of Cantonese standards.
Greens Coffee Roaster
- Coffee shop [ Open 10am-8pm daily. ]
Greens sells both fresh-roasted coffee beans (various house blends as well as single-origin) and excellent espresso and drip coffee to go, from Y300.
- Jazz kissaten [ Open noon-11pm daily. ]
An old-fashioned Japanese jazz kissaten (coffee shop), Jam Jam plays classic vinyl jazz and serves coffee, limited drinks and desserts.
- Chinese [ Open 11:30am-8pm. Closed Wednesdays. ]
Very nice Hong Kong-style shrimp wonton noodle soup and spicy tantanmen noodles are the main specialties in this small, eleven-seat counter shop located just off the Motomachi arcade. Pan-fried...
- Yoshoku [ Open 11am-2:30, 5-8:30pm (LO). Closed Wednesdays. ]
One of the original wave of yoshoku restaurants, Itoh Grill has been preparing original Japanese-style Western dishes since 1923. They've probably redecorated since then, but not too recently. ...
- Unagi [ Open 11am-2:30, 5-9pm (LO). Closed Tuesdays. ]
Good-quality charcoal grilled unagi eels. Budget around Y4,000 for lunch or dinner.
- Steak house [ Open 11:30am-8:15pm (LO); lunch to 2pm. Closed Wednesdays. ]
One of the better places in town for Kobe beef and other steaks; they also serve shabu-shabu and nabe-style stews. Steak dinners start at Y5200; Kobe beef steaks are Y10,000.
- Cat cafe [ Open 10am-9pm (last entry 8pm). Closed Mondays, Tuesdays. ]
A nice contrast to the sleepy atmosphere of your typical cat cafe, Miacis was positively frenetic with activity during our evening visit, with cats running amok and chasing one another across the...
- Indian [ Open 11:30am-2:30, 5-9pm (LO). Closed Mondays. ]
Authentic Indian cooking from a former chef at Gaylord; dinners start around Y3000.
- Indian [ Open 11:30am-3, 5:30-9:30pm. Closed 3rd Monday. ]
Kobe's venerable old Indian-food pioneer, Gaylord still draws the crowds with their good food, friendly service and pleasant atmosphere. Note the new location in Kyukyoryuchi.
- Cafe [ Open 11:30am-5am daily. ]
Featured in architecture and design magazines as well as restaurant guides, this beautifully repurposed space is the former lobby of a British bank built in 1938. It's a stylish spot for an...
- Tofu [ Open 11am-3, 5-9pm (LO) daily. ]
Excellent home-made tofu is the core of the menu here, with tofu-centered set meals at various price levels (Y4000-10,000). The dining room offers a nice high-rise view over the Kobe waterfront.
Kobe station, Harborland
- Akashiyaki [ Open 11am-9:30pm (LO) daily. ]
Akashiyaki, Kobe's answer to takoyaki, is the local specialty here - bits of tender octopus are whipped up into a light, fluffy egg dumpling and served with a tasty, mushroomy broth. The shop also...
- Yoshoku [ Open 11am-2, 5-9pm (LO) daily. ]
More classic Kobe yoshoku fun - the specialties here are beef-tongue croquettes and tongue stew.
- American [ Open 11am-10pm (LO) daily. ]
Spareribs, cubic onion-ring sculptures, fried cheese and other bits of Americana are available at this US-based chain, along with one of the best harbor views in the Harborland complex. Budget...
- Brazilian [ Open 11am-2:30, 5-10pm (LO) daily. ]
Churrasco-style Brazilian grilled meats (beef, pork, chicken) are served here, and the waiters will keep bringing you meat until you tell them to stop; all-you-can-eat deals cost around Y3000 per...
Kushiya Monogatari Harborland
- Kushiage [ Open 11am-10pm daily. ]
This popular shop lets you cook your own kushiage skewers in a deep-fryer right at your table. It's all you can eat, including various side dishes and a big variety of skewered tidbits. Y2625 per...